i)Information Education and Communication (IEC):
The Department through WSSO and the DWSMs, has been intensifying IEC Activities on Swachh Bharat Mission and Rural Water Supply through various platforms such as NGOs, Women, Youth and Student Organizations, ASHA and Angwanwadi workers, Schools etc.
Some activities aimed at awareness creation are:
- Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA).
- Inter Personal Communication (IPC).
- Behavioral Change Communication (BCC).
- Rallies and Campaigns.
The main goal of the IEC Campaign is to enable and empower the rural community to involve, have greater sense of ownership and to take more active role in shouldering the responsibility of managing effectively the water and sanitation systems in the villages. Such campaigns are expected to trigger positive behavioral changes among stakeholders with respect to hygiene, use of safe drinking water and sanitation facilities.
ii)Human Resource Development :
WSSO and District Water and Sanitation Missions (DWSMs) conducted Trainings, Workshops and Orientation programmes for WATSAN Committee, VWSCs, Nigrani Samithi, Swachhagrahis, NGOs, Women, Youth, Students, ASHA and Anganwadi workers. The key messages were Good Sanitary practices viz. hand-washing, personal hygiene, community hygiene etc, risk of Open Defecation and the benefits of toilet use, safe handling of water and water conservation to accelerate capacity for effective implementation of various water and sanitation
* The department encourages participation of women in planning and management of rural water supply and sanitation programmes.
* Involvement and participation of womenfolk and women NGOs in awareness campaigns since they are the most affected section in society in matters concerning water and sanitation.
* By providing drinking water and sanitation facilities through various programmes and plans, quality of life for women in many rural habitations are improved. They no longer need to walk long distances to fetch water and are in a better position to devote more time to other activities.
iii) Integrated Management Information System (IMIS)
The Department has an Integrated Management Information System (IMIS), sponsored by the Ministry of Jal Shakti, Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Government of India, through which the Ministry monitor all centrally sponsored programmes. Online submission and monitoring of physical & financial progress reports, completion reports, updating information & data relating to water supply and sanitation, and correspondence with the Ministry are performed by IMIS Section.